Sunday, June 17, 2012

TeachersPayTeachers versus Teacher's Notebook

Many people have asked me what is the difference between TeacherPayTeachers and Teacher's Notebook.
Or even; which is better?
Or; which makes me more money?

So here's the facts:

First off, I use both sites to sell and "buy" products. (I say "buy" because I have actually only paid for a few products otherwise I always get the free stuff.) I don't really prefer one over the other, but both have different qualities that I sometimes favor.

The Buyer Perspective:

TPT
-Easy search options
-Wide range of products (games, presentations, worksheets, forms, etc)
-Many different types of platforms (excel, word, powerpoint, PDF, etc.)
-Can search for "free" products
-Preview option on many products along with pictures
-Every seller must have at least one free product

TN
-Usually more colorful activities and games
-Wide range of products (games, presentations, worksheets, forms, etc)
-Many different types of platforms (excel, word, powerpoint, PDF, etc.)
-Can look at a whole "store"
-Pictures are required so you always see the product before you buy

The Seller Perspective:

TPT
-Can be a free member or a premium member ($59.95)
-As a free member, you can upload as many products as you want, but there are fees taken out for each product, i.e. Transaction fee: $0.30 and TPT commission: 40% of price marked (For a $1.00 product I make $0.30)
-As a premium member, you can upload as many products as you want and make 85% of your listed price
-You get paid in quarters (every three months) to Paypal
-Must upload a free product first

TN
-Pay $19.95 for a store and you are set to go
-Unlimited postings
-You get paid as soon as the transaction goes through and you get 100% of your listed price (- a paypal fee) (For a $1.75 product, I made $1.50)
-You must include pictures for all products

I have used TPT for three years now and TN for just about two months.

I am still learning on TN, but am liking what I do with it. However I am having issues with adding worksheets and files because I cannot make a picture easily on my computer. I will need to learn more about that so I can have the same products on both sites.

Yes, I do not make thousands of dollars on TPT, but the products I put on there are things I already make so I don't do anything extra apart from uploading them to the site and then they are there forever to be brought by others. It is little fund that I refuse to touch... except when I brought my TN store.

As I've said, I am here to help others so if you have questions, please comment and I will answer.

12 comments:

Caitlyn Delaney said...

I really appreciate this review! I am debating whether to purchase a TN account. I don't have the premium through TpT but the fees are killiing me.

Ms. Lyric said...

I'm glad it helped :) I know the fees kill me as well, but just be aware there are fees from Paypal with TN as well. It's much better though :) If you have any questions, let me know.

Heather said...

Hi, Thank you for this post. I have been a seller on TPT for about 4 months and only just upgraded to premium after going back and forth. I don't mind the commission split, but the transaction fees were tough for me, especially since most of my items are lower priced to begin with. I don't like that the fees are deducted after the commission. It seems to me the fees should be deducted first. One thing to keep in mind if debating whether to upgrade: Calculate what you would make as a premium versus standard, but only calculate the amount BEYOND the 40% share, (and excluding fees) since this is what you would have made anyway. I was looking at the 85% share in its entirety, if that makes sense :)

Heather said...

Sorry, that should have read "calculate beyond the 60% share"

Ryan said...

Hi there
Full disclaimer - I am biased toward Teachers Notebook, so I just wanted to clarify a few changes made this year that are different than are posted above.

Teachers Notebook does now offer free shops. No fees to create the shop, and you get paid 75% of the transaction minus a $.30 transaction fee.

Teachers Notebook premium shop is a one-time $49.95 set up fee, but you take home more -- 90% of the transaction - minus a $.15 transaction fee

When to upgrade to a premium shop really depends on how many products you are selling. At a certain threshold a premium shop makes more money for you than a free shop.

Beyond sales, Teachers Notebook has video tips, clipart for sale and a variety of cool new tools

Paula Johnson - The Seeder Chest said...

Hello,

You may have figured a way already, considering this is a year old post... but to create a picture, be sure your item is displaying as large as possible on your screen. Press "Print Screen" and open Paint. Paste, crop, save in the desired format and voila! You have your picture!

I am just a newbie at selling items. I am preparing to upload my first free item on TpT now. Thanks for the suggestion of Teachers Notebook. As soon as I can gain a little more capital, I will try that one too!

Hope this helps...
http://theseederchest.blogspot.com/

Juelis said...

I love this article. My girlfriends and I just created a TPT store and after our first transaction + fees, my girlfriend found your blog. :-) So Glad! Looks like we're about to open a TP account/store right now.

As far as your problem with the images of word documents. I usually use my SnipIt app/tool to get a snap shot of each page.

Robb Underwood said...

You should also check out TeachShareGrow.com. It's brand new and sellers have no start-up fees, automatically receive the same commission as premium sellers do on TPT, and get paid immediately after a sell.

Unknown said...

These articles and blogs are truly enough for me for a day. esports

Uzma Mir said...

Your articles are purely enough for me. quality wordpress themes

Anonymous said...

I sell on both sites. Check out the facts on the TN site and you will see that TN charges $49.95 for a Premium store for 85% profit. They claim there are no Transaction Fees, but they charge Order Fees and Payment Fees, so the 85% turns out to be only 70%. On a recent sale of $14.64, I was paid $10.30 after both fees! They have not responded to my questions on how they calculate the 85% and claim there are no fees with a Premium store! The Forum is gone, so questions can't be asked there, either.

Anonymous said...

I have been a seller on TpT since 2011. It has been a wonderful platform to use, however they have just reduced their 85% seller commission to 80% while still requiring sellers to pay their annual premium fee. FAIR? Perhaps,- or maybe not. TpT claims to be investing in growth for sellers, but bottom line to most sellers is less money = big company greed strikes again. IMO their need 'to grow' is on them- and unfortunately at the expense of those who made them BIG PROFITS. SAD.