Thursday, June 14, 2012

Build - Math Centers

Normally, I won't be updating this often, but I ended up finding the perfect bins for BUILD today and had to share.



In case you have no idea about BUILD, check out Adventures in Teaching

I actually found out about it from Pinterest (of course) and was immediately attracted to having my math centers set up the way they describe. If you know about Daily 5, it runs similar with there being five set centers that can be altered throughout year.

Here's the sum-up:
B is Buddy Games - I plan to use all those awesome math games I find on blogs, TPT, and TN with this particular center.

U is Using Manipulatives - Tens and Ones, Dominos, Shape/Pattern Blocks, Flashcards, Counters, Calculators, Unifix Cubes, etc. But I want to create task cards for these so my kiddos don't just "build" objects with no purpose.

I is Independent Work - Worksheets, Workbooks, Folders for different math unit, i.e. money, measurement, addition, subtractions, etc.

L is Learning About Numbers - Books, I found a blog on Pinterest that lists math books by topic  (SCORE, Math Books Galore!) Most books are from $3.99 - $7.99 on Amazon. I got to see Stuart Murphy at the IRA conference and would recommend getting any of his books. He has over 60 math books in his "Math Start" series. I'm trying to collect them all. Check out his books here.

D is Doing Math - This is kind of that miscellanious center that you can do anything with. If you have extra games or activities you want them to do, they can do it here. Also, this can be a teacher led center or even just a "pop-in" center where we check in with them throughout the time.

I found these buckets at Dollar Tree and the labels at Sunny Days in Second Grade. Just alter your print settings to make them smaller to fit on whatever boxes you want to use. This is one of those things I can't wait to start next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the D in build, I plan to use "Doing Math Daily" and place activities that are real world--shopping lists, measuring tasks, sharing data etc. I also thought about using DICE--and including a couple of different dice games in the D basket

Anonymous said...

For the D in build, I plan to use "Developing Math Through Technology." Students will play math games on the computer or with iPads during this time.