Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fairy Tale Beginnings

Hello again,

I am back from vacation and while I won't bore you all or make you jealous, I will say the Alaskan Cruise was amazing :-)

I have been in class this week and working on things for this year during my time there.

While cutting out centers and going through books and samples, I have decided to do FAIRY TALES for the beginning of the school year in reading and writing (most likely the first two weeks).

The first day I want to introduce my students to myself by first doing my usual 'bag.' This activity is one that has been seen many times; you fill a bag (I use just a brown paper sack) with things that represent you. Usually I explain these things myself but this year, since I'm going up to 2nd grade, I am going to do it differently. I will only show the object and let them voice and discuss their inferences for why they think it would represent me.

After that, I wanna show them some pictures (gorgeous pictures) of Alaska and introduce some background knowledge on it. Seeing as I'm in Florida, it's safe to say 'all' my children have not see a place like this.

Then, drum roll please...



I will read this book, The Salmon Princess: An Alaskan Cinderella Story, which yes, is from Alaska.

This will begin our 'Fairy Tale Back-to-School' project.

I plan on using the following worksheets that can be found both on TN and TPT. Please check them out!
More  Fairy Tales to come soon...

No comments: